Friday, January 28, 2011

Back To It

It`s crazy how a short winter holiday can mess up a routine. Take this blog for example; I barely wrote anything for it since mid December. But still, I have been pretty busy: many family related stuff during the break, new projects with my schools... I even started to develop a little business idea. I don`t know if it will become a reality but I won`t know until I try.

xkcd.com
It`s something that also affect the students in Canada. Usually, they don`t really have any school work to do during the holidays (2 weeks for Christmas, one or two weeks for spring break, two months for summer!). The students are often not even rested after these holidays since they usually party and stay up late when they don`t have school to attend the next day. When they are back in class, it usually takes at least a week to get things started again and have the students work like they did before the break. After the summer break though, you can expect almost a month for the students to get going and be adapted to their new classes.

In Japan, I feel like it`s quite different. I know they have work to do pretty much all the time and some of them even show up at school during holidays. Since I don`t teach the same students daily, I can`t really tell how long it takes for them to be back to their routines after coming back from a holiday but I would be ready to put money on the fact that it doesn`t take very long. At least, that it takes them less time than  the Canadian students.

There could be another debate about the Japanese students being overworked or not, but from my experience, I think it really depends on what school they are attending and their level of commitment.

That`s it for now. I`m just getting back to it slowly ;) . Hopefully, I`ll manage to come up with interesting stuff before next month. Until then, you can watch a video of my daughter playing guitar :p .

1 comment:

  1. hey hey hey, I would like to contend that I was never rested during holidays because I was/am poor and had to work while going to school, and I worked all the more during holidays~ when I saw in anime and dramas that in some schools it's actually a rule that you can't work while you are a student of the school, I was really amazed...I think I would have been out on the streets before I got to university if there was a rule like that.

    looove that video of your daughter playing the guitar. wish I was as talented! haha!

    ReplyDelete