Friday, February 25, 2011

lang-8

Hi everyone!

Today will be a pretty short post about what I think is an amazing resource for anyone learning a language (Japanese students learning English, Quebec students learning English, Canadian students learning Spanish, us learning Japanese... you get the picture).
On my blog for students, I also introduced that website today (if you want to see the post you can get it here : jdinkj.blogspot.com )

Maybe some of you may already use this site. If you do, let me know how you like it for learning specific languages.

The site is lang-8.com
How it works:
basically, you post texts in the language you are learning. So you need to know enough already to be able to write a few sentences. Then, native speakers of that language will review your text, correct it, give explanations and make suggestions. In return, you are encouraged to go read other people`s texts in your native language and help them.
So it`s really a community of people helping each other learn their language. The concept is great and I think it works pretty well.

I haven`t used it much yet because I don`t feel like I can write enough Japanese to produce anything worthwhile... but in reality I`m probably just making excuses, I should use it more and I`m sure I would improve quickly.

At the same time, it can be a great way to get in touch with people at places that you plan to visit...

If you want to find me on lang-8, I`m jdduq!

/post

2 comments:

  1. that is very cool, hope I don't forget to check this out later.

    by the way, I added the share gadget to my blog but I think I chose the wrong one cause it doesn't show on each blog post, only at the bottom of the page...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I think I sent you to the wrong place to add the share buttons. Turns out it`s not a gadget. When you are in your blogger account, go to "Design". Then, in the "Blog Post" bloc click on "Edit". In the pop-up window, you`ll have a "Show share buttons" check box.
    Then, write a check for 1000$ to my name and send it to me.
    Only after you complete all those steps will your blog display the share buttons :)
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete